Sunday 7 March 2010

Sunshine Meadows

Having had quite a heavy week, with lots of midterms and a few papers due I was looking forward to the weekend and getting back out into the mountains. Unfortunately all my usual partners found some excuse or another to be busy which was a shame, but un-deterred I planned a solo ski mission out the back of the Sunshine Village Ski Resort in Banff National park which turned out to be a fantastic day, excellent weather and views and a little solitude.

Very clear skies - Mt. Assiniboine the Matterhorn of N.America.

I caught the Sunshine Coach early on Saturday morning, which while still not being cheap is cheaper than any of the other means of piblic transport out there at $35 return, and gets you to the resort for 9:30am. I decided to make use of the lift pass and ride the gondola up and got in a few runs around the resort to warm up and check my knee wasn't having issues. I then caught the Wawa chair to the top, donned skins and headed up to Wawa ridge. I ran a few laps of the top of here first getting some nice fresh tracks before dropping off to the SW and heading towards Twin Cairns the 2,550m highpoint of the meadows. The skin up was fantastic, if perhaps a little warm but the sun was certainly welcome - very much like spring skiing. I decided to forgo the actual summit of Twin Cairns a few hundred meters below the top due to the slope looking a little dodgy and having had the sun all day (the avalanche report was pretty ambiguous, categorizing the day as 'Variable' but did specifically warn about solar triggered slides, which I could see going of several slopes in the vicinity) and the fact I was on my own. I got some more fresh tracks in, interspersed with a little skinning on my way back down to the resort. I had a little time left before the coach left so did some runs on Goats Eye which had some surprisingly nice snow at the top, then the ski out back to car park. Back in Calgary for 7:30pm.

Looking out across the meadows from the top of Wawa ridge.

The meadows are a great venue for some very accessible backcountry skiing. I first read about them in Chic Scott's Ski Trails in the Canadian Rockies. They consist of a undulating plateau that sits at around 2,300m, a few hundred meters higher than the ski resort to the east with a few peaks accessible such as Twin Cairns which I mentioned above. Theres no specific route listed in the guidebook, just a description of the area which I quite like, its a change from all of the other prescribed routes - this is probably due to the low objective danger of the area, there no real alpine hazards and while still there the avalanche danger on most slopes is generally usually low. As such apart from actually informing you about this areas existence the guidebook isn't actually that helpful! A much better aid is Gem Trek Publishing's Banff & Mount Assiniboine 1:100,000 topographical map, which has an enlargement of the meadows at 1:50,000 on the back, the contour intervals are at 50m though which takes a bit of getting used to for those of us that have grown up with ordnance survey's 10m ones!

Theres certainly a few more trips worth of skiing to be done out there so I'll be heading back out at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment