Sunday 19 February 2012

Cairngorm Winter Climbing

Over the last week I've been instructing on West Lancashire Scouts Mountaineering Groups annual winter skills trip, running a few skills days and taking clients climbing the rest of the time. Friday we had a particulary good day in Coire an Lochan climbing a link up of the ice pitches that form on the lower crags above the lochan, Cut Throat III 4 and then a memorable finish up through a ice tunnel behing a slumped cornice which the photo shows. Conditions were great with perfect neve and good ice. Cracks however were all completely iced up, in six pitches including the belays I used two nuts, a cam and a sling, the rest was screws.

Yesterday I was in Coire an t'Schenachda doing some snows skills, belays, abseils etc. Before building a snowhole an igloo at the end of the day. It really started to dump in the afternoon so I'd be concious of eastern aspects if going out today, windslab was starting to form yesterday.

I'll write some more when I'm back.

No comments:

Post a Comment