Monday 6 December 2010

Multi-pitch Climbing Seminar

Saturday I was at West View Leisure Center with LUMC running a follow-up workshop to a skills seminary we had last week, specifically on multi-pitch climbing. We started with basic skills in the morning such as prussics, tying off a plate, abseiling among others before pulling all these together in the afternoon by looking at basic rescues, hoisting, escaping the system etc. I think it went well and everybody seemed to learn something which is good. We just need to wait for the spring now so we can get people outside to put some of the things they learnt into practice.

On a side note, it's probably getting on for 18-24 months since I've been to West View (its over a year since I've climbed indoor!) and it seems to of changed a lot, theres an excellent new tiered lead wall in the middle, and they've revamped the bouldering area. The other thing to note is, West View used to be my local wall and I used to find the grades fairly stiff, especially on the main lead wall which was (and still is) very polished. After we'd finished running the course I lead a few easy lines (5+ & 6a) in my trainers and found them very amenable, I don't remember 6a holds being jugs all the way anyway, or maybe I've just got better. So If you've not been for a while go and take a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment