Tuesday 20 April 2010

Sunshine Spring Skiing

Friday was Bermuda shorts day at the university, simply an excuse the thousands of UofC students to drink a lot, not go to class all in the name of bringing the spring semester, and year to an end. I had a great day, I'm not going to go into exactly what I did but I hit all the big events; beer mile, couch races, pancake breakfast and the cage. The day itself made national news, which considering Canada is a big country I'm pretty impressed with, you can see CBC's report here - its worth a watch.

Saturday was spent recovering from Friday, a theme I imagine was common for most of the university's 24,000 undergrads. In the evening I headed over to Ian's for some beer, and pizza before we headed out skiing to Sunshine on the Sunday. Conditions are still fair at sunshine, snow cover is better than expecting although with the bring weather it is thinning in places, this is especially obvious on the higher scree slopes of Goat's Eye which being out of bounds are not maintained, most runs have a full covering though. The big issue at the moment in the temperature, by the afternoon the runs are getting pretty moist and slushy, and by the time its time to ski out you're dodging puddler - but I guess thats the sacrifice you make for being able to ski in a jumper with you sleeves rolled up!

Sunshine is open until May 23rd this year, although quite how many more days I'll get on planks, in resort or in the backcountry I don't know. If this was my last day I'll be happy, but if I get 1-2 more I'll hot 30 days this season which I'll be very happy with!

The next ten days are finals for me, so whether or not I get a post in I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment